Saturday, September 26, 2009

Glee= ehhhhhhh..

Just watched the first episode of Glee on Hulu so that I could maybe find a new pathetic little outlet. I was willing to accept some slightly offensive stereotyping and maybe some cheesy storylines, but I have my limits.. no matter how desperate I am to find a replacement O.C. (just ruined my own credibility as a critic, didn't I?)
I will not apologize for my O.C. fetish!
But back to business.. Just for a quick summation of the show I will offer you some of the lovely characters from Glee that I just experienced:

-Protagonist= attractive well
kept white guy. My favorite aspect of his character development was when his wife referenced their glory days as cheerleader and socialite back in high school. Suddenly I find myself becoming more interested in his character. Is it because I secretly wish I was popular in high school and desperately want light shed onto the cool kids inner lives? YES!!
-Protagonist's wife= attractive
blonde (blonde= enemy) skinny bitch who compulsively shops at Pottery Barn and desperately wants to become pregnant... No comment.
-Jock= secretly wants to be a singer and befriend a bunch of socially inept losers..... Did I mention this takes place in high school?
-Jock's girlfriend= cheerleader and president of the "
Celibacy club". What? The bitch won't put out? Show's future villain? Let's hope! (Oh yes and she's blonde. Blonde= enemy, blonde= bitch)
-Nerd in a wheelchair ::checks off token handicapped character::
-Sassy fat black girl who refers to herself as
Beyonce ::checks off token black character:: (Maybe if we're lucky the only other black guy in school will end up falling in love with her! Woo, half a century after dismantling legal segregation and nothing's changed. Keep it alive team.)
-Gay guy ::check::
- Eccentric ostracized artsy girl (I'll let you guess whether she's
blonde or brunette) who is good looking enough so that you can learn to accept it when she ends up with the jock.
-
OCD guidance counselor who has a crush on the protagonist (red hair= intriguing, tell me more). This lady was actually the only character I cared for on the show. This excluding Jane Lynch who is monsterously typecasted, but I seem to keep coming back for more. I'd consider watching either of these two's spin offs.. maybe..

The target audience for this show is REALLY unexpected. I'm thinking.. lonely women?
I don't know if it was the commercials (
prescription eyelash growing gel for "inadequate" lashes, botox [because paratheses have their place, but not on your face] and a trailer for the movie "Love Happens") or if it was the whole characterization of blonde skinny women being evil bitches who have the men you want.. or if it was how the ostracized weird girl is finding herself in close relations to the hot sensitive jock.. Yeah.. Hot, sensitive, jock.

Regardless, bottomline: This show sucks.

2 comments:

  1. haha.
    Oh wow
    If you didn't get it already glee is purposely stereotypical, like Sue Sylevester's character who gets a segment on a local TV station and spends that time encouraging the legalisation of caning, the show makes fun of itself and is meant to be ironic.
    So maybe before you waste your time passing judgement on something you should look at it properly and maybe take things less seriously.
    Sorry couldn't help myself, its my new fav show :D

    ReplyDelete