Monday, June 21, 2010

Shredded Carrot Salad

So I have been in Texas for slightly over 48 hours and I am yet again reminded of how not conducive this state is to a vegetarian diet. I usually will settle for some sort of fish dish because technically I'm a pescetarian, but a)"pescetarian" sounds way more pretentious than "vegetarian" and b)any fish in Dallas, TX is either coming out of the Gulf of Mexico (Mmmm delicious oil!) or being imported from some far away fish farm. No thank you!

So taking matters into my own hands, and with a little help from Stumble Upon, I made a delightful Carrot Salad that's super light and tasty and perfect for a very hot and humid Texan summer.

Shredded Carrot Salad

Ingredients:
3 cups shredded carrots
3/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
2 green onions
1/2 white onion
3 tablespoons EVOO
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce (I recommend the green tabasco sauce)
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
Freshly ground black pepper and Sea salt

Directions:
Finely chop both the white and the green onions. Combine shredded carrots, cilantro, and onions in a large mixing bowl.

In a small mixing bowl, combine EVOO, lime juice, hot sauce, mustard and whisk until fully mixed. Add salt and pepper according to your preference.

Drizzle dressing over the solid ingredients and stir until everything is evenly distributed. Put in the fridge and let sit for at least an hour to chill. You can absolutely eat it right away, but it is much more refreshing once it has been chilled and once the flavors have had some time to absorb through the salad.


I wish I had taken a photo of the salad, but I devoured it before I could even think to do so. The original recipe for the salad can be seen here with an image, but there are some major differences between the two (namely, I did not put mint into my salad, while I did add white onion. Also, I made a slightly different dressing).
Next time I make this salad I'm thinking of throwing in some celery for a little more flavor and crunch. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment