Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolutions

I'll admit they're hackneyed. Heck, I'll admit that I'll probably be just as trite by not following through with any of them anyway, but 'tis a New Year. Plus, I don't think there is any harm in trying to start a new year on a note of self improvement, as opposed to passively allowing myself to disintegrate into an existence of perpetual cat hair and minimal human contact. Though, as I sit in bed at 3 in the afternoon, still in my pajamas, with one cat in my lap and one hovering near-by, I will acknowledge that I am already failing.

1) Read More
2009 was not a good year for Courtney and books. The first half of the year was dedicated to reading scholastically, and although the Bolshevik Revolution and Banking Crises of the Great Depression are interesting topics, there is something less-than-satisfying about reading a book when you're required to do so. And the second half of the year was spent starting a book, and then not finishing it for whatever reason. "I'm too tired...". "It's not as good as the author's other book". "I lost it...again". "I have to finish that other book I started first". No mas! Book club anyone?

2) Let my Nerd Flag fly
Despite the fact that it is the present, 2010 sounds so futuristic and is therefore a most excellent time to stop pretending that I wouldn't love Battlestar Galactica or that I find Spock more lust-worthy than Captain Kirk any day of the week. It doesn't hurt that I got a telescope for Christmas, either.

3) Befriend more people, fewer cats
I'm only 23, and even though I'm already married, I can face the fact that I am setting myself up to die in a giant pile of hoarded cats, though otherwise completely alone.

4) Move to a new city
Orange County has had it's culturally-void talons latched onto me for far too long-- and although I don't intend to lead the most edgy and artistic lifestyle, I can definitely recognize the fact that it's not normal (or healthy) to live someplace where 16 year-olds drive new BMWs and where people refer to their Louis Vuitton apparel on a first name basis. It's really difficult to widen my worldview and grow as an individual when I live in a black hole of anthropological diversity. Lease is up in April, let's get me outta here!


Well, it'll be interesting to look back next year to see exactly how well I followed through with these resolution-ma-bobs. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that number 3 will be the most difficult point to achieve, considering it's the only one that will require me to actively repel my nature, while 1, 2, and 4 are all facets of my personality that I would like to expand upon. Why's everyone gotta hate on cat ladies anyway?

1 comment:

  1. befriend me!!!!!

    telescope for Christmas?!?! yes!!!!

    4. move to Mexico with me?!

    check mine out!!! : http://travelingmango.blogspot.com/2010/01/mango-in-2010.html

    ReplyDelete